Best Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Ah…Buffalo Chicken Meatballs...
Around my house, spice is king. My husband and I prefer to make our food spicy any chance we get (even our kids are starting to get on board)! We pretty much add chili peppers, crushed red pepper, sriracha and any other hot sauce to any meal where it is appropriate (and it's usually appropriate!). Buffalo sauce is no exception. I posted these yummy beauties to my Instagram on New Year’s Eve, and, as promised, I’m sharing the recipe with you here. These meatballs have a little kick, but are mild enough for the kids to enjoy. They were a great appetizer to help ring in the New Year, but they are just as good - maybe even better - for football Sunday Funday! I make them gluten free by opting for GF bread crumbs, but it’s fine to use whole wheat or regular instead. You can serve these with a light ranch or bleu cheese dressing, but I think they're delicious just the way they are!
Gluten Free Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
What you need:
1 lb ground chicken breast meat
1/3 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs (I used seasoned)
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed and finely chopped
1 large egg
4 scallions (finely chop white, slice green for topping)
1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot, or other buffalo sauce, divided
3 tablespoons bleu cheese crumbles, plus more for topping
Olive oil spray
How to make them:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Spray a baking sheet lightly with olive oil spray.
3. In a small saucepan, combine butter, 3 tablespoons hot sauce and bleu cheese. Heat over medium, stirring until cheese and butter are melted and combined. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. In a large bowl, add breadcrumbs, celery, garlic, egg, scallion whites and salt. Mix well. Then add chicken and cooled sauce mixture. Blend, being careful not to overwork the meat.
5. Using your hands, form 1.5-2 inch meatballs and place on baking sheet.
6. Bake in oven for 16-17 minutes, until cooked through.
7. Remove from oven, drizzle remaining hot sauce on top and garnish with scallion greens and blue cheese crumbles. Serve with celery and carrot sticks on the side.
Makes approximately 16 meatballs.